Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Post Valentines Report: Men are making a romantic comeback!

I used to hate Valentines day, mainly for the reason that I usually had a 'stand in' boyfriend at any given moment. Most found the frivolities of hallmark holidays way too cliche and more importantly way too legit in defining a relationship, a relationship. ie "If we spend holidays together it means we're really a couple"... said the guy after months of dating. Hence, Valentines Day was on the top of the list of no-no's. Perhaps it was an LA thing. The land of Peter Pans happily making their way girl to girl without any real commitment. Oh hell, maybe it was just me that they weren't that into. They wrote a whole book and film adaptation on that right? Either way, it made experiencing V-Day in NY so much better than before. Not only was the city bustling with men of all demographics carrying bouquets in hand but I too was the blushing recipient of said arrangements.  There was something wonderful and inspiring to see so many briskly walking through Manhattan with flowers in hand. Whether it was a single long stem rose from the local botega, or a Wall street exec proudly grasping his giant blood red two dozen, all the men seemed to walk a little differently. Like a peacock flaunting their feathers you got a real sense that these men weren't pressured into the hallmark festivities, they weren't beholding to their spouses or their lovers, they participated willingly and with a look of absolute joy. 

This raised an observation...I saw far fewer women with such bouquets in hand, or red heart shaped adorned boxes or candies and it made me wonder if the genders had switched somewhere in our social evolution. I suppose the romance of Valentines does fall most commonly into the male lap but should that necessarily be the case? Even I, a newly married woman, found it surprisingly difficult to figure out the best way to show my husband my own Valentines love. Ultimately I settled on taking him out for a steak dinner. What man doesn't like a good steak and a glass of Chateaunuef Du Pape? Although being married presents any even funnier predicament... we're married, which means we share the money... So I guess we took ourselves out to dinner. lol. Nonetheless it was deliciously decadent and romantic although the feeling still remained...What does Valentine's day mean for women? Is it a day where we feel entitled to sit back and test men or at the very least give them the lion's share of the effort? I would hope not... but I have to say I spent the day observing others. The men looked elated and the women looked either angry or expectant. I'd have to say the men this year get an "A" in my book, for today when I went to Whole Foods for my morning coffee, all the roses were gone! All that was left, were sad wilted and random remnants. Go guys! What a comeback! Now we have to get these gals in gear!

No comments:

Post a Comment