Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Can't We Just All Get Along?

I feel like it was way back in the mid-90's that the slogan 'Can't we all just get along' became hot topic for laminated pins and bumper stickers. Sadly though, I am reminded daily that somehow, the message never stuck.

For the past few days I've been thinking about an incident that occurred on an ordinary day in the city. I've been meaning to write about it, but of course became momentarily distracted by work and other obligations. That is until today when a gentleman blurted out, as he nearly ran into me on the sidewalk, "Get the f---- out of my way". Yep, yeah, that's New York City for you. I was jolted back to my memory of the other day and my need to write about it.

I happend to go into a CVS Pharmacy Drugstore. It was 5 o'clock on a Monday night. The usually post work crowd filled the place, which is generally already understaffed for even non-peak hours. I approached the check out and discerned two lines that had formed. One was for self checkout at the various kiosks and the other was for the cashier desk. As I continued to wait, I noticed a woman standing nearby jumped the line (knowingly or perhaps unknowingly) and proceeded to the checkout cashier. Immediately the rightful next customer approached her and in my opinion rather politely, as far as New Yorkers are concerned, pointed out that there was in fact a long line of customers already waiting. The line jumper neither acknowledge the woman nor said "I'm sorry, my mistake". The latter leads me to believe that she knew and simply did not care that there was a line.

To my disappointment the employee that had witnessed this, did nothing to correct the situation or point out to the customer that she skipped ahead of the existing line. To make matters worse and escalate to a place that is neither necessary nor warranted- not to mention easily corrected if the employee had not played 'indifferent', another gentleman jump in and quickly began yelling.  Ironically, he did not yell at the woman who had obviously jumped ahead, but rather to the woman that had spoken up and said something.  He began antagonizing her, spouted 'what makes you so self righteous? There's no sign that says that there's one line'. Like most New Yorkers she chose to not engage or respond to his slurs. She was an older woman and perhaps after years of living in the city you either grow tolerant or simply lose the energy to fights these types of daily battles.  He called her rude and his putrid anger seemed to be even more fueled by her ambivalence.  As I watched, I was astonished that neither the employee or store manager, that stood only a few feet away, would allow such an outburst to occur. I couldn't help myself but to point out to the cashier, stating 'You should really say something here'. She of course gave me a growled look that said 'Don't tell me what to do'. Everyone grew increasingly uncomfortable as his rant continued well beyond needed. Finally, after biting my tongue for long enough... I chimed in. In the most delicate, non emotional way I could, I agreed that yes, while there was not a sign that spelled out 'one line' one line seemed to have formed on an honor system- first come, first serve.  I also pointed out the fact, verbally, that it is up to the employees to instruct customers as to how they are handling the crowds and serving them fairly.  His immediate response was 'one line is how they bring cows to the slaughter' after which he began repeating himself again about there being no sign.  However it did seem as though, the moment I mentioned the 'honor system' he wasn't sure how to respond to that. All he could say loudly was, 'I hear you'. After which point, he himself jumped ahead to that very same cashier, and again in front of everyone already waiting in line, to check out.

I was happy that I spoke up, but also really troubled that the state of our world has grown so impatient, so intolerant, so self-entitled.  I don't recall there being this much anger in LA. Perhaps the sunny weather and tepid climate makes people a little calmer. There are 1.8 million people, according to census bureau, living on the island of Manhattan. That's a lot of friggin' people in a small congested area. Everyday is operated at a breakneck pace, bumping into people, running around, trying to survive in a city that's over populated and overpriced.

I have hope for New York and it's residents. They always say 'be the change you want to see happen'. It's so easy to fall into that routine, where you keep your head down, worry only about yourself and those immediately around you in your life and become indifferent to everything and everyone else. Life is tough, especially during these times. Many are struggling in all forms, so I'm not surprise the temperament has changed a bit. Even, I myself, have days where I find myself utterly impatient with slow moving tourists or waiting a little longer than usual for the train.

It is moments like those in CVS or today on a busy city street that remind me that we MUST always try to be courteous to one another. Be THOUGHTFUL, PATIENT. KIND. There's a whole Psalm in the bible about that. Love isn't only for husbands or wives or families...it has to be for every single one of us which is not always an easy task. Living in New York, has been an eye opening sociological experiment. I feel as though it's a microcosm of the world, which is both fascinating and scary all at the same time. My goal is to smile at as many people as I can and watch how many odd glances I get back.... Oh, yeah, New Yorkers, avoid eye contact and smiling at them is like walking around in an alien costume. You should try it sometime...it's rather entertaining.

1 comment:

  1. Bravo for speaking out! I would have too. It's important now more than ever to have the sort of proactive compassion that says no more. We have to stay in alignment with our integrity even when the "pack" choses to tuck and cover.

    Here in LA this weekend, everyone is freaking out about Carmageddon, the two day closing of the 405 for some much needed road work. It's a first world problem that I am sure many without food or clean water in third world countries would love to have. With that being said, everyone is a little more stressed, edgy and alarmist.

    It makes me wonder if folks in America had third world problems (no food to eat, no clean water to drink or bath in, no jobs, no hospitals, and had to watch their families suffer or die from war) would they turn on each other too? How much of the violence in the world is from truly bad people vs. good people stuck in bad situations?

    ReplyDelete